iMessage is Apple’s own instant messaging service that sends messages over the Internet, using your data. They only work when you have an Internet connection. To send iMessages, you need a data plan, or you can send them over WiFi.
Can iPhones send texts without Wi-Fi?
No. It has to have an internet connection. If there is no wifi nor cellular connection, it’s not connected to anything. SMS/MMS need a cellular data connection (they don’t go using only a wifi network connection).
Why won’t my iPhone let me text without Wi-Fi?
– Go to Settings/Messages and make sure that Send as SMS is turned on. – Check the recipient’s contact info to make sure you are sending a message to a valid phone number. – Go to Settings/Messages/Blocked and make sure that the person you are trying to contact is not on your block list.
Can you receive text messages without Wi-Fi?
Originally Answered: How can I text without using WiFi or data? Texting with the native texting app does NOT use Wi-Fi or data. You can basically turn off Wi-Fi and data, then try to use the texting app to text, you can still do it.
Why does my texting only work with Wi-Fi?
Traditional texts (SMS, MMS) can only work on the cellular network and will not work on Wifi. If they are working on wifi it means it is connection to a data based messaging service like imessage, whatsapp, facebook messenger.
Should I turn off SMS on my iPhone?
Disable send as SMS
So when iMessage sends one of your messages as a text message, it can be frustrating and end up costing you some money. You can prevent this from happening by turning off the Send as SMS option in the Messages settings screen on your iOS device.
Can you still text on an iPhone without service?
You can’t send SMS from a phone that has not service. If they are using it as an iPod with wi-fi there are some texting apps that can send a text to a cell number. Of if the not in service iphone has iOS5 they can use iMessage.
How do I send text message instead of iMessage?
Send messages as texts on a manual basis
- Go to Settings > Messages.
- Toggle Send as SMS switch to off.
- When iMessage is unavailable, individual messages will not send. Tap and hold these individual messages until you get an option menu.
- Tap Send as Text Message.
What is the difference between SMS and MMS?
On the one hand, SMS messaging only supports text and links while MMS messaging supports rich media such as images, GIFs and video. Another difference is that SMS messaging limits texts to just 160 characters while MMS messaging can include up to 500 KB of data (1,600 words) and up to 30 seconds of audio or video.
How can I text an iPhone without using data?
Re: Cannot text without a data plan (iPhone)?
- Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
- Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position (if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on again)
- Return to Messages and try sending the text message again.
Is data required for texting?
Depending on the kind of information that you’re sending and receiving, free texts might be costing you more than you think. It doesn’t matter if you use Apple’s iMessage, Google Voice or a variety of third-party apps like TextFree, textPlus or WhatsApp, they all use your cellular data.
How do you get text messages without service?
Use a Third-Party App
- Mysms. Mysms is an Android app that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone and any other web browser or device that the app is installed on. …
- Pulse. Pulse is an Android app that enables you to send both SMS and MMS from any device. …