The “failed to obtain IP address” error appears when a user tries to connect to a Wi-Fi network. A router assigns an IP address for any connecting device. Your device must obtain this address to be able to connect to a router. This message means that it cannot do that, and the user is unable to join a Wi-Fi network.
When I try to connect to Wi-Fi it says obtaining IP address?
The “Failed to obtain IP address” error usually shows up when accessing a Wi-Fi network, whether it is new or one you have saved on your device. This error message means the router can’t assign an IP address to your device. As long as the issue persists, the user can’t access the internet using that Wi-Fi network.
What does it mean obtaining IP address?
If your smartphone says “obtaining ip-address” it means it is searching for an IP address or connecting to an IP address. If you are trying to connect via Wi-Fi using the smartphone, it may be a static IP address or dynamic ip address.
How do I fix valid IP configuration for Wi-Fi?
How to Fix a “Wi-Fi Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error
- Restart Your Router.
- Reset Wireless Network Adapter.
- Renew Your PC’s IP Lease.
- Reset the TCP/IP Stack.
- Reinstall the Wireless Network Adapter.
- Update the Wireless Network Adapter.
- Obtain the IP Address Automatically.
- Change the Router’s SSID and Password.
Can’t connect to Wi-Fi without IP?
Go to System Preferences>Network>Wifi. Click on the drop-down menu in the Location box, which should be reading “Automatic” Click the “+” icon and name the new location then click “Done” Under Wifi, it will read “No IP address”
What is IP address for WiFi?
Android users can click on the network name in their WiFi settings, and it will show the IP address. Your public IP address is the main IP address to which your home or business network is connected. This IP address connects you to the world, and it’s unique for all users.
How do I connect to WiFi using IP address?
Go to Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap your preferred (or active) wireless network.
- Select IP Settings.
- Switch it to Static.
- Keep the IP address, Gateway and Network prefix length the same (should be set from standard DHCP). …
- Restart your phone (power cycle). …
- Tap Connections from the Settings screen.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
How do I fix obtaining an IP address?
How to fix the “failed to obtain IP address” error on Android?
- Reconnect to a network.
- Assign a static IP to your device.
- Restart your router or a mobile device.
- Change the encryption type.
- Turn off MAC filtering.
- Turn flight mode on and off.
How do I connect to an IP address?
Setting the IP address on your PC or mobile computer
- Click Start >Settings >Control Panel.
- On the control panel, double-click Network Connections.
- Right-click Local Area Connection.
- Click Properties. …
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
- Select Use the Following IP Address.
How do I fix my IP address?
How to Change Your IP Address on Android Manually
- Go to your Android Settings.
- Navigate to Wireless & Networks.
- Click on your Wi-Fi network.
- Click Modify Network.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Change the IP address.
What does it mean when your WiFi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration?
The “WiFi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error message indicates that there is a problem with your computer TCP/IP stack – a set of network protocol layers that can work negatively together to result in an interruption to your Internet service.
How do I reset my wireless network adapter?
What to Know
- Disable/enable Wi-Fi Adapter: Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change adapter options. …
- Reset all Wi-Fi network adapters: Go to Settings > Network & Internet and choose Network reset > Reset Now.
- After either option, you may need to reconnect to your network and re-enter the network password.
How do I manually assign an IP address?
How do I set a static IP address in Windows?
- Click Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center or Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on Wi-Fi or Local Area Connection.
- Click Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click Properties.
What do I do when my WiFi says authentication error?
How to fix Wi-Fi authentication problems on Android
- Toggle Airplane mode.
- Forget and reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router.
- Change the network from DHCP to Static.
- Reset your network settings.
Why does my WiFi say no Internet?
If your computer is the only device that says it has a connection but no actual internet, it is likely that you have a misconfigured setting, faulty drivers or WiFi adapter, DNS issues, or a problem with your IP address.
What do I do if my WiFi is connected but no Internet access?
The problem is then at the ISP’s end and they should be contacted to confirm and resolve the issue.
- Restart your Router. …
- Troubleshooting from your Computer. …
- Flush DNS Cache From Your Computer. …
- Proxy Server Settings. …
- Change the wireless mode on your Router. …
- Update outdated Network drivers. …
- Reset your Router and Network.